History of PTA

History of North Olmsted Early Childhood PTA
A handful of parents who were interested in programs and activities geared toward the preschool age child founded our organization in 1951. Formerly known as Preschool PTA until 2009, the Early Childhood PTA grew out of the PTA organization of North Olmsted. These members met in one anothers’ homes and later moved to the High School cafeteria, Coe School, Southwestern Savings & Loan meeting room, North Olmsted Community Cabin, and this year to the North Olmsted Branch of the Cuyahoga County Library.

History of Ohio PTA
In 1901, the fifth annual convention of the National Congress of Mothers was held in Columbus, Ohio and on that occasion, those who had been called together from all over the state, organized the Ohio Branch. In the 1970s, the IRS officially classified Ohio PTA as a tax-exempt charitable organization. Today the Ohio PTA, a branch of the National PTA, is composed of over 90,000 members, 586 units and 41 councils in 15 districts. The Ohio PTA was organized in May 1901. The Ohio PTA Board of Directors, includes executive committee, directors, district advisors and immediate past president. All are volunteers.

History of National PTA
For more than 100 years, National Parent Teacher Association (National PTA®) has worked toward bettering the lives of every child in education, health and safety. Founded in 1897 as the National Congress of Mothers by Alice McLellan Birney and Phoebe Apperson Hearst, National PTA is a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Today’s PTA is a network of millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools.